Monday, August 15, 2011

Tips on how to stop this?

I have a 13yr TB gelding that has a very annoying habit, especially since it is damaging his stall! When he gets impatient to be let out, he does this bunny hop and will kick the side wall of his stall, which is wooden with bars on top. The other day we were loading hay into the barn and he kicked it so much that he moved the wall (we're working on getting brackets to secure it to the floor and wall) and some of the bars fell out! Thank goodness the mare in the stall next to him is great..she doesn't react at all. It just made me so mad! I try to catch him doing it but often i'm in another part of the barn..if i hear him i will say, RALPH! NO! or STOP! in my mean, growly voice. I've taken to tying him up when i first go in the barn so he can't get his near the partition wall. He doesn't kick the other walls because they're cinder block. Any tips? He doesn't do it while i'm standing there. I know he's just being impatient. Our horses currently get about 10 hours of turnout daily as it's winter. I appreciate any help. Oh, he is the dominant horse in our herd of 5. Because of the place of his stall, he is currently let out second last. Should i let him out first?

No comments:

Post a Comment